February 2018 Minutes




The meeting was called to order at 6:30 P.M. by Chair Rene Pulido.

ROLL CALL: Board Present-Rene Pulido, Sharon Johnson, Barbara McMorrow, Jonathan Wright, Louis Joseph. Not present-Chris Rose(resigned) and Derik Flint. A quorum was present. Others Present- Tamara Baker, Joe Wagner, Gary Hall, and Chris McMorrow.

DECEMBER 2017 AND JANUARY 2018 MINUTES: The December 2017 and January 2018 minutes were reviewed. Barbara McMorrow moved to approve, Jonathan Wright seconded the motion, and the vote was unanimous in favor.

TREASURER’S REPORT: The combined November and December Treasurer’s Report was reviewed. Invoices paid were Intuit (2 @ $15.00, Lewis, Longman, et. al. ($140.00), and Daily Record ($1,139.50). The bank balance as of January 11, 2018 was $140,766.07. There are two outstanding invoices to be paid: $240.00 to Sharon for the Daily Record and $95.00 to Barbara McMorrow for the title search. Jonathan moved to approve the Report, Barbara seconded, and the vote was unanimous in favor. There was no February Report prepared.

Sharon announced Chris Rose resigned as Treasurer shortly after our January meeting.  Sharon moved that Jonathan Wright serve as his replacement. Louis Joseph seconded, and the motion was approved unanimously. Jonathan will get with Chris as soon as possible to transfer all Treasurer-related information, including the MCSD bank account with Bank of America.

Our insurance company is preparing our insurance policy for renewal and has sent forms for the renewal. Jonathan will fill out the forms, obtain the financial information, and return the forms to Jaclyn Scharf, The Holmes Organisation of Florida, Inc.

Joe Wagner advised his firm has sent a number of invoices totaling approximately $20,000.00-$30,000.00 that have not been paid. Sharon will follow up with bookkeeping at WOOD, Joe’s firm and have the invoices sent to Jonathan to be presented for approval and payment in March. Barbara seconded the motion, and the vote was unanimous in favor.

Sharon raised the issue of the Voluntary Contributions. They were to be refunded to the payors in January 2018 unless otherwise determined. The refunds have not been paid. Jonathan moved the refunds be paid within 45 days, Sharon seconded, and the vote was unanimous in favor.

Rene raised the issue of the attorney’s fees mailed to and mistakenly paid by EMED(Rene Pulido). The amount is believed to be between $10,000.00 and $15,000.00. Rene asked that the funds be repaid when the MCSD loan is secured for the project. Rene will send proof of payments to Jonathan who will present them to the Board for approval and reimbursement at the appropriate time.

The Board previously approved Robert Thaggard, CPA, to prepare our 2016-2017 Audit at a cost of $3,500.00. Jonathan will negotiate the contract unless Chris Rose has done so.

SUBCOMMITTEE UPDATES: The title search on the church property has been completed. All paperwork has been forwarded to Wayne Flowers for final review. Once Wayne has approved said paperwork Barbara will present it to Pastor Lee.

RESIGNATION: Our Chairperson Rene Pulido advised he must resign as Chair due to work demands. We are sorry to lose him. Jonathan moved that Sharon serve as Chair, Louis Joseph seconded, and the vote was unanimous. Rene promised to attend meetings as his work load permits.

NEW BOARD MEMBER: Sharon proposed Tamara Baker serve in Chris Rose’s seat (#4)on the Board, Jonathan Wright seconded, and the vote was unanimous. Tamara agreed to serve as Interim Secretary through June 2018. Rene’s seat (#3) remains open at this time.

MEETING LOCATION: Rene renewed his offer for the Board Meetings to continue at Havana Jax Café. After discussion it was agreed the meetings would continue at that location for now.

TIPPING FEE: Derik Flint was to contact Louis Naranjo with the Jacksonville Port Authority (904-357-3065) to discuss the tipping fee and report back to the Board. Derik was unable to attend this meeting. That issue will be tabled until the March Meeting.

JOE WAGNER: In the last week Joe Wagner and Sharon have been contacted regarding the fecal coliform levels in Millers Creek. Joe went over exactly what that means to the residents of Millers Creek. The last report shows this is not human waste as some are mistakenly saying. Per Joe, the City of Jacksonville has failed to maintain the storm drainage and plumbing systems as needed. Our dredging project will go a long way to fixing this problem but Millers Creek needs the City to not only assist financially with the MCSD project but also to take steps to correct the storm water drainage and plumbing problems that directly affect our creek. Those who have additional questions may contact Sharon Johnson, Chairperson, MCSD, sbjohn27@bellsouth.net

Joe will be meeting with the Department of Environmental Protection (State of Florida) and the Corp of Engineers in a few weeks to present the Millers Creek Project. Tamara Baker will accompany Joe.

ADJOURNMENT: There being no additional business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:19 P.M.

REMINDERS: Future meetings will be held monthly on the third Monday of each month. The next meeting will be held March 19, 2018.

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published.